Project Name: Soccer Field Improvement
Date Submitted: October 2016
Name of Solicitor: Pablo Caceres Santos and Community of Las Lomitas
Location of Project: Las Lomitas, Santa Cruz de Yojoa, Cortés
Project Justification: Why do you need the project?
Our current field is in very poor condition. It is very unlevel (on the side of a hill) and the surface itself is very uneven with many lumps and holes. These features impede our ability to practice and play well. Over time, many players have been injured due to the current field conditions. In addition, many neighboring communities do not want to come play soccer in our community due to these conditions.
Supervisor’s Note: The soccer field in Las Lomitas is very near the community’s center and is a central feature of the community’s structure. As in many Latin American communities, soccer provides a healthy pastime for many young men, who otherwise might not have a healthy activity to participate in during the evening hours. The climate of Las Lomitas, cool and at altitude, provides for an excellent atmosphere in which to enjoy the sport, and the community believes that they may even be able to rent the field in order to generate some income for the community which they can use in other community improvement projects. In this area of Honduras, each community has their own soccer team, which plays other communities in the area on weekends.
General Objective: What do you hope to achieve with the project?
To have a safe place where we can practice and involve other young men in the sport. This will also allow us invite other communities to visit us to participate in tournaments in the near future. This will help our children and youth to be involved in something healthy in their lives.
Development Strategies: How are you planning to execute the project?
- Assure that all legal documents are in order.
- Socialize (explain and present) this project with: Local soccer team, community council, local churches, municipal government, all the community and HTH.
- Utilize local resources like: Stone, mason, and labor.
- Seek the support of:Local soccer team, community council, local churches, municipal government, all the community and HTH.
- The project will be executed under the supervision of the Department of Community Development.
Beneficiaries: Who and how many will continually benefit from this project?
The community of Las Lomitas (~450 people).
- Municipal government will provide sand, gravel, heavy leveling equipment, and 800 concrete blocks ($2820).The
- The community will provide stone, mason, and assistant’s labor ($1360).
- The local church will provide one week of mason’s payment ($80).
- Cement, concrete blocks, chain-link fence, and other materials are requested from an outside donor.