Official Project Solicitation
Department of Community Development
Project Name: 2 Houses
Name of Solicitor: Local Church of Horconcitos (Open Arms of Heart to Honduras)
Location of Project: Horconcitos, Zapca, Santa Barbara, Honduras
Project Justification: Why do you need the project?
These homes are made of bajareke (mud and wooden poles) and untreated wood. The bases of these homes have begun to to rot and is placing the habitats in danger in the event that the structure should fall in on itself. These families have few economic resources.
Supervisor’s Notes: These homes are nearing dangerous conditions. One home has a dirt floor and is constructed of untreated lumber that is nearing 20 years of age. The other home is nearly 70 years old, a remarkable age for a bajareke home. It has survived this long due to exceptional care and constant maintenance by its inhabitant, Julia, who at 62 years of age is beginning to struggle to maintain it.
General Objective: What do you hope to achieve with the project?
A better and safer life for these families.
Direct Beneficiaries: Who and how many will continually benefit from this project?
7 people in two homes.
- Maria Elizabeth Tinoco Garcia (46) lives with her husband Rodelmo Quintanilla Martinez (64) and their children Ever (24), Erbin (23), and Gisel (16). They earn approximately $100/month through agricultural work - primarily corn and red beans.
- Julia Zuniga (62) lives alone with her son Kelin (33) since her husband abandoned her many years ago. Kelin earns approximately $140/month working in agriculture, primarily with corn and now beginning with coffee in order to provide for the two of them.
- The local mayor will provide concrete blocks and sand ($660).
- The beneficiary will provide stone and masonry and assistant’s labor ($510).
- The local church will provide 10 bags of cement ($80) and assistance with mason’s payment if they determine that they families are unable to pay.
- The remaining materials and payment of a carpenter are requested from an outside donor.